What Should A Leader Know About Social Media?
Few domains in business and society have been untouched by the emerging social-media revolution—one that is not even a decade old. In today’s world, capitalizing on the transformational power of social media while mitigating its risks calls for a new type of leader. The dynamics of social media amplify the need for qualities that have long been a staple of effective leadership, such as strategic creativity, authentic communication, and the ability to deal with a corporation’s social and political dynamics and to design an agile and responsive organization.
Leaders must cultivate a new, technologically linked social infrastructure that by design promotes constant interaction across physical and geographical boundaries, as well as self-organized discourse and exchange. Here are some tips a leader needs to follow to stay on top of social media.
- The leader as producer: Create compelling content
- The leader as distributor: Leverage dissemination dynamics
- The leader as recipient: Manage communication overflow
- The leader as adviser and orchestrator: Drive strategic social-media utilization
- The leader as architect: Create an enabling organizational infrastructure
- The leader as analyst: Stay ahead of the curve